Monday, March 23, 2009

The Batik Factory

Day three was a early wake up day as I had to go and collect my new visa, which meant another journey down into the central city. This time (NO WALKING), I took the monorail, as I decided I'd seen enough sites around this area so whisking past it at high speed would be something different to do.

(Monorail by night)
Once I had the visa I had the rest of the time to do whatever I want so typical tourist style I sussed out a travel desk and booked a driver to take me to a few places of interest.
First stop the Batik Factory.
I could not believe my eyes, these people draw all these patterns free hand and in a matter of seconds. They have a plain piece of white silk and they draw on it with hot wax. It takes a couple of minutes to dry and then someone else comes and blobs different colored ink in different spots. The wax contains the ink so it can't run all over the material. Once the entire picture has been colored in, the frame is moved to a drying area and then the wax is washed out once all is dry.
From there the material is taken to the cutting and sewing department where it is decided what will be made from it etc.
Drawing the patterns with hot wax
Completed wax drawings
Blobbing ink in
The finished products
Next stop the leather manufacturer. Not too impressed with this one as they were making handbags out of sharks and rays and clearly this does not go well with my chosen current profession in which I prefer to preserve the marine life. Did learn a lot though and the finished products are actually quite exquisite. Couldn't take picture in this one. Not sure if that was the normal policy or if they just thought by my facial expressions that I might report them to some tree hugger organization.
Then off to the chocolate factory. I was handed a apron and a hat and off I went to learn how to make chocolate from scratch. I crushed cocoa beans to smell the quality. Still don't really understand what I'm suppose to smell, but it smelled delish.
Then we melted processed milk chocolate and I got to choose my ingredients. I opted for the hazelnuts and Tiramisu flavoured coating. I set the chocolates, placed the nuts inside, had to wait for it to cool down and set and then rolled it in the Tiramisu powder. They tasted great and afterwards you get to purchase a bag of the same chocolates you made. Bought a bag and handed it out at the shop once I got back to Phi Phi.
I found my new calling in life. Mom I want to be a chocolatier, I will probably be the size of a bus by the end of the month, but it was great fun. Unfortunately once again photos were not allowed inside the factory area. This time not because they though I had a hidden agenda, but simply because that's the rules.

No comments: