Saturday, March 21, 2009

Kuala Lumpur Petronas Towers

PETRONAS TOWERS - No longer the tallest building (There is one in Japan that beats it now), but still an amazing structure and well worth seeing.






So my visa run this time was pretty much hitch free. I did not end up in the wrong country, lose any part of my luggage, end up being stuck because of public holidays, change flights or any of the other crazy things that have happened to me in the past.

I arrived in KL at 08h10 in the morning and got onto the bus that takes you into the city. Once I arrived at the bus terminal I walked to the tourist street which is equivalent to Bangkok's Khao San road, called Bukit Bintang. This is a road which consists of hotels, guest houses and restaurants upon restaurants everywhere you look, with massive shopping malls on all the corners.

I went hotel hunting and found a cosy little place with all the basics like hot water, cable TV, Free Internet etc. Finally found it after walking up and down the road for almost an hour looking for a place that was recommended to me by a friend, with every single taxi driver who I ask for direction pointing me into a different direction (Okay so that was probably the hitch on this trip!!!)

Anyway, finally gave up walking around with my luggage in this heat and decided to go for whichever hotel seems relatively cheap and neat - yet then ended up finding a really nice place in the end. Went to my room, threw down my luggage, had a shower and went for lunch at a Cantonese restaurant.

Then got all the basic details and a map of the city to plan my next three days... Just relaxed in the hotel, watched movies and had another two showers. My favourite thing to do every time I am out of Phi Phi where I do not currently have hot water.

Woke up early the next morning and rushed through peak hour traffic with a crazy taxi driver who does not shut up for five seconds to the Thai embassy. Had to spend about two hours here to get through the ques to hand in my applications. Then decided to do a city tour on my feet which meant a hell of a long walk, but ended up at the Petronas Towers and it's shopping mall and adjacent park. This is truly one of the most beautiful parts of the city. Malaysia in general is a dirty place the Malay people has no concept of throwing trash in a trash can. They drop anything and everything right were they are, but I was pleasantly surprised about the state of this park. It is extremely clean and peaceful.
After a rest in the park I was en route once again back to the hotel on my feet. I seriously miss judged the distance. It looked sooooo close on the map. Ha, I think not... I had to make two pit stops for water as the heat was killing me and eventually it was dark so I stopped for dinner. Found a nice little Vietnamese restaurant and the food was great.
Got to the hotel and literally collapsed on the bed. Dead tired and feet full of blisters. Mental note, not walking anywhere tomorrow.

The park




Views from the park. So peaceful yet in the middle of a concrete jungle.


The designated hand washing fountains in the park.

No comments: