Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Buddha & Buddhism

So we finally got to the very top of the hill only to find out that we have to climb a whole bunch of steps to actually reach the Buddha. I thought I was going to die, the heat is unbearable...

A small Thai lady stormed us trying to sell us some birds in a tiny cage. I first said no and told Eugene to get her away from me because I can't stand the site of animal cruelty. And off course to me it is cruel to have birds in a cage...

She basically refused to leave and kept telling me to take the birds. We eventually figured out that it is Thai culture to take captured birds up to the Buddha and then whilst standing on your knees in front of him to release them into the wild. The amount of birds you release represents the amount of years that Buddha will then bring you good luck.

So Eugene tried to stop me, but I figured I would do my good deed for the day and release birds which shouldn't be kept captive. I bought seven birds from the lady with the broadest smile and no teeth that you have ever seen in Thailand.


We started our climb to the Buddha through the entrance to the stairs which is shaped like giant serpents with tongues that look more like very sharp claws.


Once we got to the top, we first had a good look around to see what the other people were doing to make sure that we don't do anything offensive. I had to take off my shoes and bend down on the blue tiled platform in front of the giant Buddha. The Thai people first pray and then do some sort of incense ritual before releasing the birds.


I skipped this part - not feeling too comfortable, looked up to the sky and said - please help these birds never to be captured again!!! As you can see in the photo's Eugene was ready to get the action shots.


No comments: