Friday, January 8, 2010

Xingping to Yangshuo


Once, in ancient times, Xingping was the largest town along the Li River.

The charm of the town is greatly enhanced by the surrounding hills. The town is located at the foot of Wuzhi (five fingers) Hill. The hills in the east are Sengni Hill that resemble a monk and a nun are bickering with each other, Chaoban Hill is said to look like the tablet held by officials in court in ancient times and Arhat Hill looks like a smiling arhat monk exposing his breast to the sun. The hills in the south are Carp Hill and Snail Hill. The hills in the west are Bijia (pen holder) Hill and Meinv (belle) Peak. The hill in the north is Camel Hill resembling a camel crossing the river.




I did not get to see nearly as much as what I would have liked in this small picturesque town and will surely be back to explore it in more detail. If I stayed a minute longer I would have missed my train to Shenzen...

No comments: